Thread: Basic advice
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #31
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Basic advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Will do, I plan on draining the radiator and putting evaporated or rust911 whichever I can get ahold of and running that thru and then back flushing the whole system
If you do a back flush with the radiator still installed, all you will do is complicate the whole situation. When you use a rust remover you want all those loose rust flakes to exit the block, you do not want them entering the radiator, that is the first cause of radiator blockage.

Remove the radiator, lay it flat, use a gallon of vinegar and let that soak a day or two.

Plug the block return and fill the block with rust remover, you can warm this up by running a minute or 3 providing you have a liquid in the block to absorb the heat, DO NOT run the engine empty of liquid. You can save and reuse Evaporust or Rust911, so drain that out through a filter of some type then hook the pressure system to the outlet (some use a pool pump, or a sump pump) and flush out the engine separately. I have even used a old nylon stocking over the return port, just hook it over the pipe with a wire tie. You don't want any of that engine crud in the radiator.

When you remove the radiator leave the short hose and metal pipe hooked to the block, you can use the radiator end of the pipe with the short hose to close off the engine before using your rust remover. Turn the pipe from the radiator position to pointing down so when you flush it it is pointing into the bucket to catch the release of the rust remover. Then you can just remove the bucket with the reclaimed rust remover and pressure flush the rest of the crud from the block to the ground through whatever filter you use. You can even use a second bucket full of water and use that as your source for the pressure flush return and pickup.

Last edited by RawhideKid; 08-12-2017 at 06:50 PM.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote