View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
G_Don

Default Tapped Steam Hole Plug Size Model B block

I recently purchased a 30 phaeton that came with a model B block. I took off the head and cleaned off the old copper gasket adhesive. I now have a clean block and head, however I read that you are supposed to fill the steam holes on the B block in order to avoid issues down the road.

I have searched on here and even purchased some model A manuals but can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what size hole I need to tap the steam holes to. I bought some 5/16" x 1/4" - 24 set screws and plan on drilling, tapping and screwing those in there (as long as this size is correct), then filling in whatever is left of the hole with JB weld and sanding it smooth. I plan on doing this in all 4 steam holes.

Am I on the right track? Any advice for drilling into the block to get the straightest hole possible (minus pulling the engine apart and putting it into a mill or drill press)? I obviously want to get this done right the first time around to avoid ruining something and figured I'd ask on here to get a more knowledgeable answer, or see if there is anything I may have missed?

Any advice or links to good articles on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
Gordy
G_Don is online now   Reply With Quote