View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #92
daveymc29

Default Re: What did you do working on you Model A today

Went to help a lady that bought a coupe out of Tx on Ebay. She told me it ran perfectly and the man drove it off his trailer and drove it around with her, showing her how it worked. The next day he left back to Tx and she decided to go for a drive. Started the car and drove the half mile to her gate and it quit running several times so they got it home finally and parked in front of their house. Noticed a big puddle of oil in her driveway. Tried several times since to start it and eventually in a round a bout way I was asked to come see if I could help.
Nice looking, older restoration, the oil read a bit high on the stick, a few rust flakes in the glass bowl coming through the firewall, but not too bad. I sat in it chatting with her and asked if it was okay if I stated it. She agreed and I turned the key on and touched the foot starter and it started immediately. I then turned the GAV about two or three turns until that was closed and backed it out to a good steady idle, about 1/4+ turn. Then I took a friend and we drove it toward her gate. About there it died, obviously starved for fuel, we finally got the gas cap off and drove it back to her house. we found just setting the cap on the neck would starve it into dying. We left the cap off and again parked in her driveway and shot the bull for a bit. then we pushed the car backward after it had sat there for 5 or 10 minutes and there was an oil spot the size of my hand on the ground under the rear of the engine.
My plan now is to have a pencil filter installed in the shut off after all the gasoline is drained, remove a quart of oil, filter the fuel and put it back in, cure the plugged vent in the cap and drive it again. May have to wash out the carb. What else do you see needs done from what I presented? Engine was rebuilt in St. Louis less than 700 miles back, the story goes.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote