View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Patrick L.

Default Re: POS or NEG ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
Again, I'm trying to make this simple, not difficult. Here's another answer to a couple posts on this thread. Swapping the coil leads can't change whether the spark jumps from the plug's center electrode to the ground electrode or vice-versa. If the battery is connected positive ground, the plug's ground electrode will be positive and the electrons will have to jump from the center electrode. If the battery is connected negative ground then the spark plug's ground electrode will be negative and the electrons will jump from the ground electrode to the center electrode . Swapping coil leads will determine whether the current going to ground through the points passes through the primary winding or secondary winding and therefor how high a voltage is induced to fire the plugs. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. The battery current must pass through the PRIMARY coil winding and through the points to ground, so that when the points open and the field created by the 6 or 12 volts passing through the PRIMARY winding collapses, a high voltage(what should it be, 20,000?) will be induced in the SECONDARY winding which will then discharge across the plug gap to ground. It is the ratio of coil primary windings to coil secondary windings that determines the voltage available at the plugs. If you vainly attempt to change coil polarity by swapping coil leads, you will lower the voltage to the plugs. And that,folks is why the windings are named PRIMARY and SECONDARY. About all coils today have their low tension terminals marked (+) or (-). That confuses most people and it shouldn't. Back when pos and neg ground cars were intermingling, you would find coils with their terminals marked "BATT" and "SW" (for points). Today, since most all cars are wired neg ground, the semi-literate manufacturers label the coil terminals "+" and "-"., and therefor the "+" means primary and the "-" means secondary whether it will be used in a positive ground or negative ground system. None of the components in a Model A ignition system are polarity sensitive.

Well, kinda sorta. I understand you're trying to over simplify this. The condenser/capacitor is what really induces the secondary voltage and why the system won't work without it. But, I understand why you're saying it like you are. You're coming across as talking down to everyone, I don't think [hope] thats your intention.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote