Thread: Brake Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #31
larrys40

Default Re: Brake Overhaul

The quality of the brake job is not only in the parts, how they are mated,restored,replaced, but also in the re-assembly of the various parts and components and adjusted properly to make everything work as they were when new.
I just completed a brake re-rebuild and repair on a car that had new brattons drums, roller tracks replaced (unkown roller tracks and by whom/ incorrect dimensions) new bratton shoes with linings, drums scored, rear brake actuating levers half frozen, etc.. and in short the car was purchased and the brakes albeit with many new parts were non-existent in function.
Linings had to be redone, roller tracks machined to proper dimension, drums turned, shoes arced, bushings/shafts replaced as necessary, and more.. and then properly set up and adjusted. They are now awesome and will skid to a stop.

It's about knowing and understanding what you are doing. I don't think that it's as simple as sending off your assemblies and getting them back and slapping them on. I would still always center to "your axle housings/car) and make sure all is true and arced and of course assembled to ensure all is correct. That includes front brake operating shafts, spindle bolt brake pins/wedges, if a pill is needed, brake rod clevis drilled for oversize or repaired back to standard... brake cross shaft and rod restoration and more. I can't imagine a " brake job in a box" with unfamiliar installation as good as one that is done by a skilled restorer/"A" mechanic.

I think it's great the augmentative services that are available out there from the various suppliers but I think it's better to get the right help in doing the whole job from dis assembly to restoration to re-assembly and setup/adjustment to ensure optimum performance.
After completing the recent re-restoration of brakes on a recent local acquisition of one of our members my bet would be with the skilled person from start to finish ...
I realize depending on location and expertise in your area that may not be possible...and of course labor cost... but then good brakes are important to stay alive.
Too many people say how poor Model A Brakes are when they can actually be skidding to a stop in time if needed.
Just my 2-cents worth.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote