View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #45
KR500

Default Re: Hershey is Dying, Corrections are needed

I made the trip this year after having been absent from Hershey for 28 years. It was great to be back and A LOT has changed. My first year my friend, father, and myself stayed with George Dammann of Crestline Publishing at his motel room and slept on the floor. Watching big Classics hauled from the mud by tractors and die hard part searchers sliding and falling in the mud, you knew you were with serious parts hounds. I also noticed the aging group of old timers who were dedicated, no matter how, to stumble along with their newly found and cherished part bungied to their walker, along with a happy look of satisfaction. The parking is now handled by Herco employees collecting $12.00 to park and barking orders of where to park. More porta potties, people on staff to keep them neat, more food vendors, and the great camaraderie of the car folks still makes it worthwhile. It isn't cheap to attend Hershey with $4.00 a gallon fuel, jacked up room rates and such, but Hershey is still the biggest. I also have attended Iola, Wisconsin for years and that also shows signs of aging. Maybe the old car hobby is declining because of cost of ownership of a car and the cost of restoring it.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote