View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
V8 Bob

Default Re: Name that bellhousing

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The late 51 Merc item is the only one that has the rotating fork like the old Fords. The 52/53 Ford & Merc had a fulcrum arm to actuate the throw out but they do share the starter plates and lower cover of the 51 Merc style.

I think "later" '51 Merc may be more accurate, as I have never seen first hand or any pictures of 1951 Mercury bells, other than the full cast iron version; never the stamped steel 1/2 bell round pattern carry-over from '49-'50. I would think the shop manuals would have shown both versions if the cast bell was "late", since they are usually printed very early in production, but none do, at least U.S. manuals. I don't know when the actual change took place but guess it was very early U.S. to use up '49-'50 parts, maybe later elsewhere like Canada, etc. If you know some factual info please share.

An example of shop manual early printing is in my '64 Ford/Mercury shop manual that shows only the B/W T-10 4-speed, like I had in my early R-code Galaxie, not the normal '64 production Ford top-loader.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote