View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
aermotor

Default Re: Engine numbers don’t match

In SC I was able to get a valid VIN number that is attached to the firewall on a speedster built up of parts starting with a model A frame. Starting with the local DMV I was told to go to the state for a VIN application. I applied for a VIN number using "reconstructed" vehicle. The other choice was "homebuilt" which would be a kit car, this not being the case. I was issued a VIN number and had a trophy shop make a placard with that number. A VIN inspector came to my home and verified that the number attached to the firewall matched the issued VIN number. From there on title and registration were standard procedure. Why all this? No more looking all over the car/engine or wherever for a serial number. The VIN number trumps all other numbers whether on the engine or block or if they match or not. No definition on what reconstructed consists of and the VIN inspector was only interested in the number on the fire wall and did not even look at the rest of the car. BTW, the car was built up on a 31 frame so it is registered as a 1931 model A Ford.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote