View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Low Pressure Brake Light Switch

The low pressure brake light switch was made available by many of the Ford Repo parts suppliers several years ago. They are advertised as being compatible with silicone brake fluid. Both my '55 cars hydraulic systems were converted to silicone fluid many years ago. The OEM replacement switches are not compatible with silicone fluid. I had changed both the switches on my cars to the low-pressure switches offered by Concours or Mac's. But they went bad fairly quickly, not due to fluid issues, but the contacts burned out on them.
So then, I went to a motorcycle shop and got a brake light switch for a motorcycle having the same pipe-thread, heavy-duty contact rating and silicone compatible, made in the U.S.A. That must have been at least four years ago and that switch is still working.
I don't know how many low-pressure switches I went thru prior to finding the motorcycle switch. Boy was I tired of replacing brake light switches every month.
Those cheap Chinese made electrical components are never any good. It doesn't matter if you need an electrical component for a car or home appliance. If it is made in China, it will not last long.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote