View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #14
JeffB2

Default Re: flathead to ohv engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Now I'm wondering which 52/53 Ford cars would have had the 15-inch dimension that they show between the firewall and the rear edge of the front cross member where it meets the frame rail? Were those V8 cars or 6-cylinder cars?
In every case I have been involved in the 15" kit is for Fords the 17" kit is usually always Mercurys from the same era, I founded and moderate the 1952-59 Ford Social Group on the H.A.M.B. since May 2009 we have a HUGE file that covers all kinds of upgrades,facts and where to get parts on our site. The difference between the six cylinder cars and the V8 cars from 1952-56 is in the front sheet metal seen in the lower right of this illustration,this positions the radiator further forward allowing for more fan to radiator clearance. If doing this in a car that had a V8 flat head or Y-block using the early pre-1970's "short" water pump can gain you about another 3''-4" clearance. The oil pans used in 1952-53 cars are the Fox Body dual sumps and it is easier with 1982 and later blocks that already have the drivers side dipstick like pictured above. 1954-59 SBF swaps use the front sump oil pans from pre 1980 cars that also have the dipstick in the timing cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54 fender.jpg (19.5 KB, 14 views)
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote