View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
ottoschmidt

Default backire through carburator on 1946 8 cylinder

Hello Men,
I am new member and need help. I had a competent machinist completely rebuild my 1946 ford truck 8 cylinder 1.5 ton from A to Z with all OEM parts . The only modification was putting a Pertronix Ignitor plate in it .I delivered the motor to the mechanic who installed it and he said it started right up and he put 13 gentle miles on it and it ran good .The next day when I went to pick it up he said it`s now backfiring out through carb intake and running like crap loss of power . He thinks valves are the issue and the machinist said no way . The machinist is saying that installing a Pertronix plate you must retime the distributor but not the primary timing but the secondary timing of the weights by unloosening a bolt and nut on the distributor and using a timing light . Mechanic and me don't understand how it can run fine day one and not the second day . He wants to take off intake manifold cover and look at valves . I say check timing first .It has the crab style distributor .It has a brand new Holley 94 from National Carburator . Any advice will help .
Regards
ottoschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote