View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #715
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Perfect landing by student pilot on first instruction flight.

It was yesterday in Perth West Australia a flight instructor fainted and slumped over the student. The student was on his first flight and made a perfect landing. He needs complementing and so does the instructor who provided guidance on the radio.
Several pilots have asked me for instruction or conversion onto a tail wheeled aeroplane. One was a fellow who had towed gliders with a tail wheeled tug and was off to Spain to tow in a Piper Cub. I had the same type and he asked if he could fly with me. Of course he could. His name is Tim Cook. Well Tim and I flew to an agricultural airstrip and did several quick landings. I asked Tim to stop and climb out. Then I questioned him just who taught him to land like that. Tim said no one. He just figured that was the best way to make a good landing. Well he was the first pilot I ever flew with who did it properly and every time. First pilot that I hadn’t taught that is.
I ask all those who come to me just how they land an aeroplane. Because they have done it many times they would become indignant at being questioned. But they could not explain because they didn’t have a positive procedure. Most pilots let the aeroplane fly them around the sky and don’t have command of it at all times.
Well that student pilot in Perth did it well using the correct technique. The media complemented the air traffic control but it is the student pilot and instructor on the radio that deserves the accolade.

The picture below is the same type as the fellow in Perth landed. Picture from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cessna 150.JPG (35.3 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote