Thread: battery
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 12:47 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
Thank you Mickey, when putting together a high point vehicle, every point counts and the higher the points the higher the cost. in the standards (Quote) if a part, when new is indistinguishable from an original it will receive full points. the standard used to say half points, but now it say fewer points for reproduction parts. if it is a lower cost replacement battery you should get nicked more points. this is for the late Walter Ramsey`s 29 roadster. his son would like to show the car in Reno. thanks again for all your input.
That's the problem, the reproduction battery is distinguishable from the original. The caps, the molding lines etc, are not correct. The judging standards also group Starter, switch, battery, battery cables, generator, and cutout together for 8 points for everything. Good luck with your project.

Here are some excerpts of past posts about batteries;

Originally Posted by WardAZ
Yes, it has been my recent experience (MARC San Diego) that the reproduction Ford battery available now, will be whacked 50%. I assume everyone with this battery was whacked the same way at that meet. I tried to detail the battery so that it would look closer to original, but the differences between it and an original battery are still evident, so you get whacked.

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C
I -like Ward, used a reproduction Ford script battery that I detailed the case by beadblasting it and making mould-markings on it where it looked very similar to an original ...however like his, it was/is obviously a reproduction due to the case size and a couple other minor details. In my mind, I knew it was a repro however I was hoping a Judge would notice the work I had done and give me some credit or leniency. In other words, if 10 points was the maximum and 50% (5 points) were to be taken off for a non-authentic item, I was hoping to receive a score of 7 or maybe 8 points for my efforts. I too received a 50% deduction just like others did who likely just installed it right out of the shipping box.