View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
pooch

Default Re: Fires in Santa Rosa

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
After bad fires here a few years ago, I bought a gearbox that had been in a workshop destroyed by the fires. I think our fires probably burn hotter than over there because of the type of timber but never the less, I'm afraid those motors and gearboxes will be RS to most but don't give up entirely on them, even the '39 gearboxes (I'd kill for one of those - they are just not available over here). The one I had was black inside and the gears as soft as butter. I dismantled it anyway and took the internals to a heat treating business where they rehardened them to 60 Brinell (Henry hardened to 58). The heat treater estimated they had reached 600C (1100F) at least. A new set of bearings and I have a good gearbox again. I went to the trouble of doing that because the gears still had Henry's machine marks on them. I am quite confident the gear were original because the whole thing showed virtually no signs of use. Even the pattern on the pedals was pristine. I digress.
Before scrapping anything, I suggest you talk to those who know metals before scrapping it. Oh, and send one of those '39 coghouses this way!
Synchro, I bought a 39 gearbox (with open driveshaft) 3 years ago from Healesville, not far from you

I thought it was missing the balls/springs/plates of the synchro, but they were in the sludge in the bottom of the case.

I cleaned it only and put it all back together, no new parts, then found out it had an earler shifter fork and it had been gound out to fit .

Then I found it had no second gear.

With the help of the barn and Van Pelt site, I found I needed the 39 tower.

Found one for $20 only 100 km from me.

(Lots of "founds" in this story,) but after dismantling it and reassembling it 10 times, I am somewhat a bit of an expert in fitting it all back up now.

Also with help of the barn, I modified the 3 ends of the shafts to make it leakproof.

Running nulon synthetic gl4 oil and it does not leak a drop and shifts flawslessly and runs dead silent and it does NOT jump out of second.

I am a very happy chappy....
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote