View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
mrtexas

Default Re: Coolant additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old182 View Post
In the spirit of discussion, I'll jump in: Buy this stuff if any of it makes you feel good, but do yourself a favor before spending: Make them justify why you should spend your money with a good comparison - which this IS NOT. First, the Specific Heat of water is 0.998 cal/g *C, ethylene glycol (most antifreeze base) is 0.574 cal/g *C. This means EG will transport heat about half as good as water. Note the comparisons using just water showed the best results almost exclusively. Duh. Looking at their data, the "worst condition" car, 50/50 Honda antifreeze/distilled water mix, means all testing should have been with the same base mixture but with the different additives. I think there are obvious reasons why they failed to do this. Also, their mixtures of antifreeze and water are all over the map: Fifty/fifty, 70/30, 30/70. Finally, the ambient temperature was dropping as the testing progressed, stacking the odds in favor of the additives. These may be the best products since sliced bread, but the testing team wouldn't last a week in a real lab. If you really want to know whether any of these products work, drain your Model A engine and fill it with clean distilled water. Take data and then add your favorite Moose Juice additive and retest, keeping conditions as close as possible for each test. When you're satisfied the product really works, buy it and endorse it. Sorry for being such a skeptical nerd - I used to get paid for doing this .
You are as skeptical a scientist as I am. Today I tooled down to Advance Auto and O'Reilly and looked at Red Line Water Wetter and Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant. There used to be a Zerex product but apparently not made any more. When I shook the containers lots of foam formed for both and didn't go away, not good. Today I drained the anti-freeze and put in distilled water. Anti freeze is not really needed as our freezes in SE Texas last only a few hours at a time and just a couple times a year. The temperature dropped from 190 to 180-185 on my modern temperature gauge.

I ordered some DEI radiator relief for $22 from Summit Racing and will add some when I get it and report the results. The temperature around here in SE Texas doesn't vary much. It is 93-95F every day from May 15-Oct 1. I don't want to run just water as it doesn't have the corrosion additives, etc of anti-freeze.

I have a brand new Brassworks radiator already. I'm about to receive a newly rebuilt inserted engine from Pete's Automotive in Albaquerque, NM with lots of goodies, new Brierly cam, new Chinese crankshaft, new inserted rods, and Brumfield head.

So I thought I'd do a little cheap experimentation with coolants.

I know the biggest factor in lowering coolant temperature will be with the high compression head as it is much more thermally efficient. I would have put the Brumfield head on the current engine but it didn't look like I could get the studs out without putting the engine out of service.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote