View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Old182

Default Re: Coolant additives

In the spirit of discussion, I'll jump in: Buy this stuff if any of it makes you feel good, but do yourself a favor before spending: Make them justify why you should spend your money with a good comparison - which this IS NOT. First, the Specific Heat of water is 0.998 cal/g *C, ethylene glycol (most antifreeze base) is 0.574 cal/g *C. This means EG will transport heat about half as good as water. Note the comparisons using just water showed the best results almost exclusively. Duh. Looking at their data, the "worst condition" car, 50/50 Honda antifreeze/distilled water mix, means all testing should have been with the same base mixture but with the different additives. I think there are obvious reasons why they failed to do this. Also, their mixtures of antifreeze and water are all over the map: Fifty/fifty, 70/30, 30/70. Finally, the ambient temperature was dropping as the testing progressed, stacking the odds in favor of the additives. These may be the best products since sliced bread, but the testing team wouldn't last a week in a real lab. If you really want to know whether any of these products work, drain your Model A engine and fill it with clean distilled water. Take data and then add your favorite Moose Juice additive and retest, keeping conditions as close as possible for each test. When you're satisfied the product really works, buy it and endorse it. Sorry for being such a skeptical nerd - I used to get paid for doing this .
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote