View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #17
Ross F-1

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

I'm also of the belief that dual MC's are more problems than solutions. I've never had a single-MC outright fail, it's the rest of the system. Singles will leak long before any serious trouble. On the other hand, I've had multiple dual-MC's fail on one circuit with no warning, and like said, there may be "some" brakes but not enough to do much good.

Getting the right dual MC, especially with discs up front, and getting everything balanced, is not simple or cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Even that is not as simple as it sounds. It requires sizing the master cylinder correctly and possibly adding some proportioning valves. Dual master cylinders are not what they're cracked up to be. I lost a rear brake line on my '99 F150 and had some brakes. I changed all the brake lines (rust from Minnesota salt), and everything was fine, UNTIL I blew a front brake line a couple of years later. That time I had almost no brakes at all; certainly not enough to be of use except in the gentlest of conditions. After I replaced the front brake lines, everything was perfect again. After that experience, it is my opinion that good maintenance is more important than a dual master cylinder. Certainly not on a system assembled from miscellaneous parts.