View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #32
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Cam Degreeing/Checking Important

Another Setup Method: One of the best ways to initially install a cam is very simple (assuming you have adjustable timing gears and a dial indicator):

1) Setup your TDC and pointer (this is needed for all timing tag related work)
2) Read the timing tag, at what degrees of crank rotation does it show the .050 profile intake lift to be at? (On the intake it is usually a BTDC degree value)
3) Rotate the crankshaft so it is at exactly the degree value shown for the .050 lift on the timing tag.
4) Install the camshaft/gears and one lifter for the corresponding cylinder - such that you are at .050 lift for the specified intake lobe. (Using the dial indicator to directly read the cam profile off of the lifter).
5) Lock the cam down at .050 lift.

If the timing tag says here is where the crank should be at .050 intake lobe lift, then you do exactly that and given the above approach, the rest of the numbers should match.

Now that you've installed the cam to match the .050 lift and crank degrees . . . check to see that it is at the correct place on both opening/closing events (both lobes).

I've used a lot of adjustable cam drive systems on various engines (flatheads and OHVs) - the above method is the easiest way to consistently setup the cam . . . and it should match the tag for both lobes on both the opening and closing ramps. If it doesn't match the tag - then I know the cam is incorrectly ground and I cannot "fix it".

Also, if you want to 'advance/retard' the timing, then once again you can use the above method - just move the initial crank degrees to do what you need/want.

There yah have it . . . another man's method . . .

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote