View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #24
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Of Interest to members, a reminder of why to inspect your tow rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
That would be fine "when things are loaded absolutely perfectly". However, it would appear that they are just not built to handle things when they go sideways. I find it interesting that, in the graph there are 2 2006 models that have a curb weight of 1399kg and 1400kg (not much more than my '31 model a pickup), and yet, the towing weight is the same 7700 lbs as the ones listed at almost twice curb weight. I know that, while my Model A (with it's SBC) certainly has the POWER to pull a decent load, it certainly does not have the weight. To each his own but, when I'm going to be pulling my car hauler (whether it's the 20' flatbed or 20' enclosed) I will use my dually cummins, 6spd before I would ever use the Avalanche. Not because the Avalanche couldn't haul them loaded, but because the one ton will do it better and safer if I find myself in a less than ideal situation. One of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" things I guess. Regardless, it's a sad story, the kind I hate to see.
agreed, my 2002 2door 2wd s10 blazer says it can tow 5,700 lbs... i towed an enclosed U haul probably close to 1500-2000 lbs of stuff and it was kinda sketchy. never felt unstable but braking my god....i agree, just because it CAN tow said weight doesnt mean you SHOULD.

range rovers always remind me of the ford bronco II, ranger based thing that liked to be on its roof more than its wheels due to the fact it was taller than wider...