View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: Steering box adjustment 1950 Ford Coupe

The "adjustment screw" on the top of the unit is NOT for adjusting the steering box. First loosen the nut on the slotted stud on top of the steering box. Unscrew the stud about half a turn. Remember or mark the position of the stud because when finished you need to put the stud back in the original position. Now on the bottom of the box are 4 screws or bolts that hold on the bottom plate. Slightly loosen all 4 but dont remove. Now tap the bottom one way or the other. That bottom plate bolt holes are slotted and allows the plate to be adjusted back and forth. I dont remember which way loosens or tightens up the steering wheel slop. This is a trial and error method of adjusting so a second person helps otherwise it could take several trips under the car. It took me about 10 trips under the car. It only takes minute movement to adjust the wheel. Once satisfied with adjustment, on top of the box, tighten stud back down to original position and tighten the nut. Remember to check oil level in the box. PM me if you have questions. Good luck!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote