View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
31pickup650

Default 1931 Pickup Journal

Howdy. This is my grandpa's 1931 Model A pickup:

It was sitting in his driveway for quite a while and he wasn't using it. Now that I have a place of my own, the truck joined me here in Ohio (I am originally from California). I shipped it out here with Intercity Lines and would recommend them. They did a great job. Here it is coming off the truck:

It ran a couple years ago, but didn't by the time we shipped it out here so I had to push it into my garage. For barely weighing a ton, it sure felt heavy!

I figured out it wasn't getting any spark and replaced the wire leading from the terminal box to the generator. The coating had worn off and it was grounding itself. After that, it would chug, but wouldn't run when I tried starting it. I cleaned out the carburetor and that did the trick. It still a bit rough. The idle is not the best, but it seems to be running really lean. When i pull the choke in a little bit when its running and warm, it smooths right out. The plugs were all covered in carbon and one had some oil on it. I am replacing those and the gasket between the carburetor and the manifold since that is currently missing and probably causing the lean air/fuel mixture.

I gave it a quick test drive up the driveway:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n79ezto8jv...%20pm.mp4?dl=0

I might need some help getting the carburetor settings right. I don't have much experience tuning those.
31pickup650 is offline   Reply With Quote