View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #17
Joe K

Default Re: Transmission Bearings?

Trace out the flow-path for motion though the tranny.

The (I think) 1st gear of the cluster is not looking too grand. The chip appears on this and seems to be on the side of the gear towards the reverse (end gear) of the cluster. Somebody clashed the gears going to reverse.

The rest of the cluster is not bad but - unfortunately - it looks like you're into a cluster. Well, you might try it with new ball bearings. But it might "scream" in 1st. But you don't drive there long...

The "frosted" surface of the internal needle bearing (between front & back shaft) is normal. There is normally no motion between the input & output shaft when in 3rd gear, of course.

The input shaft (4th pix) appears normal. Good sharp edges on the 3rd speed internal/external gear which is a plus for this. (you don't want it popping out of gear.)

Last pix shows the "entrance angle" of the gear - this looks ok and is design.

New or old cluster is the question. A new cluster might have problems meshing with old gears on input and output shafts. You might instead ask about "used" but "acceptable" cluster.

Generally I try to mate good old with good old OR go all new for a transmission. I've gone both paths with different transmissions and get similar non-problematical results.

Joe K