View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Benson

Default Re: Transmission Bearings?

THis is my experience with noise in second gear.

My noise was in 2nd gear only and got to be VERY loud the longer I drove it.

At first was like 20 to 25 in second towards the end it was 15 to 30 ... above 30 it was quiet.

As noted below the bearing inside the cluster which failed was on sec/third slider end of cluster which I think was reason it showed up in second gear.

When needle bearing fell apart the noise got much worse because one end of cluster was unsupported and was "flopping around.

Maybe if bearing that failed was on the other end of cluster it might have been noisy in 1st.

Re: Tranny 2nd Gear

Looking back on it the only thing NOT replaced were the three needle bearings because they looked good. (HINT ... HINT)

I lived with the noise by keeping speeds low in 2nd gear and drove another 5000 miles.

Finally got tired of noise and tore it down.

Found that one of the needle bearings inside the cluster gear had come apart so one end of cluster gear was "flopping around".

Second/third slider gear surfaces and the corresponding gear on the cluster were "all chewed up".

I wonder if maybe I could have saved the 2nd gear and the cluster by taking it apart as soon as the noise started! Your call !!

Steve at Bert's said it was the noisiest transmission that he had ever heard.

On the surviving needle bearings you can see that the needles are worn to "Points" where they fit into the holes in the "cage" and holes are worn "oblong"...

Other wise the bearings look new.
Last edited by Benson; 06-03-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote