View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Dana Barlow

Question 57 Y-v8 292 oil pump wear? check?

I'm checking all things that will lower psi oil. I use a mec.oil gage{not elc.) and it is not leaking. The pump should be EZ,so have taken it apart,I'm getting a feeler gage reading of .0045 in. max. at tip of pump center blade(4 tips,to outer 5 slots in ring,at each of tips as roll it around. That seems OK to me,but is that too much wear? There are no big scratchs or groves.

As I was removing pump inter parts,I put center back in too check pump drive shaft was not slipping at dis. end or pump end=OK

I had a bad drop in oil psi as I got home from a long day of running around town. It runs at 10 hot idel,an 30 hot at driving speed normaly.
Other things I checked out so far; 1#Oil in pan=OK,an no burnt smell,2#pulled spark plugs so I could take oil line to gage off at block=to see if oil pumped out when cranking with starter (yes it did).3#pulled off oil filter an cut open to see if there was any metal in filter paper by lay it out on news papers to drain,(none) 4# I just went and got another oil gage ,oil an a new filter,so can put it back together thurs. after I clean the spark plugs an can check oil psi again with new gage. I'm running out of ideas,if it's still low/I'll check back later ether way

Last edited by Dana Barlow; 12-11-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Dana Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote