View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
nelsb01

Default Re: Hubcap restoration

Hey--the best way is to drill a 3/16 inch hole in the back center--stop of course before you get to the stainless.
Then find a large cardboard box, fill with a blanket, and get the air hose with blow tip and fit it over the drilled hole, and point top of cap toward blankets in box.
Stainless cover should pop right off.
Send the stainless to a stainless restorer (JR Custom PLating - North Branch MN) and then sandblast the cap. When ready for paint, only one coat the top and then multi-coat the rest. The secret is to keep the paint thin where the stainless goes.
I used 3 inch pink foam insulation and cut a concave area in the center to fit the stainless cap. I then built a 2 by 4 frame for the foam andwith a plywood cover. You can set the finished metal cap on cardboard on the floor. Use a little vaseline on the bottom inside edge of the stainless and then place the stainless on the cap (matching the V-8 impression), then place a piece of wax paper over the stainless. Place the foam frame over the stainless, make sure it is level - and then with one foot, stomp on the top of the plywood. I did 6 hupcaps this way and had no damage to the cap or stainless. I then sealed the drilled hole with some good chauk.

Last edited by nelsb01; 08-15-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: forgot a step
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)