View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Joe K

Default Re: Repop Ammeter Junk

I first bought the $8 aluminum ammeter, then I bit the bullet and bought the $18.95 black and silver "exact copy" sold by a high-end vendor.

Examining the better quality meter I was impressed by the attention to detail. Well made it seemed to have the D'arsonval movement of a high quality meter. One had to buy the original "thumb-nuts" separately - but at least they were available.

I was excited by what I received - until I went to put it in the panel hole. Like the OP, I found the diameter did not match the hole in the dash, and the meter, even with ears bent out, would not hold in the dash.

Contacting the seller, I questioned him about the issue. "Its the best we can get today and we're aware of the problem. ONe solution we've found that works is to back up the meter with a rubber O-ring - set it so it 'catches' on the bent ears and that will hold it in place in the dash."

Well - they could have warned of the issue in the catalog - it might save them from the unwanted effort answering phone calls and dealing with returned items.

I ended up with the O-ring. It works - but its not right or original.

Joe K