View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Paul Selfe

Default Re: Another stuck Flathead story....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoltewahSpeedShop View Post

Another stuck Flathead story....
I traded for this flathead engine that "Supposedly" had been sitting dry in a garage for years.... "It's stuck, but can't be bad" that was the story.

I've tried every old school trick in the book to get it free. Marvel Mystery, Kroil, PB Blaster, Coke, Pepsi, antifreeze, nothing worked. Won't budge!

Here's what we found tonight. Beware! It's not pretty.

Wonder why it was stuck? Sitting dry for years. Really? What they didn't tell me was, that it obviously sat under a drain spout for a few years before that. Either way, didn't see any cracks, and the cylinders don't look too bad believe it or not.

It did move a little bit, so it's soaking again. Wish me luck!

Later,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

The engine in my roadster came from the "boneyard", dragged it out from under a one ton telephone truck that had been setting on it's side for many years. I thought it would be just for parts, so my son and I knocked half the pistons out with a big sledge and a 2 in, piece of barstock. Some came out the bottom after we got the crank out. Some had water, and some were just badly corroded in place, it looked worse than your pics. I looked the block over, and it looked in good shape. I had it bored .060, skin cut the decks, and ground the crank. It's been running great in the roadster for going on 15 years now. There's most likely a lot of life still left in that engine of yours. Good luck and have fun! Paul Selfe.
Paul Selfe is offline   Reply With Quote