View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #20
1930-Pickup

Default Re: The Mystery of the Right Side Spare Tire on my 1930 PU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I don't, I'm basing my assumption on it being assembled in Long Beach based on your testimony and findings with your pickup. One thing is certain, Ford did not ship completed A's by rail from the Rouge as a method of distribution.Ford saw rail as an uncontrollable cost and chose to minimize the impact by shipping parts and having regional assembly plants.its one of the few areas he knew he couldnt control cost, transportation. Over the last 90 or so years they could be driven anywhere, but my assumption is that most true pristine survivor A's around today stayed local..lets say 70%..the wild card in this is Long Beach having a pressed steel operation and the latitude given to managers to use up stock and meet dealer demand. The market was declining in 1930, any smart manager in the Ford system kept his stock of completed parts short and used up overrun.
These are good observations and I think you're probably correct. The condition of the pickup, especially as viewed from underneath, supports the idea of a low-corrosion environment, such as southern California.