View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
CHuDWah

Default Re: The Mystery of the Right Side Spare Tire on my 1930 PU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
All RHD vehicles factory fitted with sidemounts had them fitted on the right side . Generally speaking 28/29 frames were drilled both sdes for the steering box . 30/31 frames are drilled on the drivers side only . With your later cab your frame should not have holes for the steering box on the right side . If it has then it could be the frame at least started as a RHD . If the frame is only drilled for LHD it think it must have been a factory special order, not likely a dealer installation .
So, LHD would have left side-mount. I may be confusing 28-29 steering box holes on both sides with side-mount holes (senior moment ). Anyway, I agree the OP truck likely was special order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I used to work on a 29 that had the spare mounted on the right.That one was an old phone company truck,I took the box off and put on a new pickup bed for the owner.It still had the phone company logo on the sides.It's really hard to determine if a car is really original or not if you don't know the whole 87 year history of it.yours has 31 splash aprons,and stainless cowl band,shell,and headlights from a passenger car.I know of a late 31 pickup with a narrow bed that you would swear is original.The original owner told me that when the truck was a year old he was rear-ended.A used wide bed was impossible to find,but he found a nice narrow bed in the junkyard that was the same color.When he was hit the headboard of the wide bed contacted the cab,and the curved scar is still there today.Completely different profile than the narrow bed headboard.
True dat! Lots can happen to a vehicle during its life, much of it not obvious
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote