View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
CHuDWah

Default Re: The Mystery of the Right Side Spare Tire on my 1930 PU?

It's interesting that the left frame is not drilled. I thought (apparently incorrectly) that Ford drilled, or more likely stamped, all passenger/light commercial frames with side-mount holes on both sides. That would allow use of the frame on any vehicle without having to take time to drill holes for specific vehicles. Your April 1930 engine likely is not original to the truck. If it was, the truck probably would have the 28 - mid-30 "square" cab. I suppose it's possible the engine could have been installed in one of the very early (circa-June 1930) "round" cabs but more likely it is a replacement.

If the side-mount arm is riveted to the frame it most likely was factory installed - dealer installed usually were bolted. I believe you are correct that pickups had left side-mount standard - my 8/30 CCPU (sadly, sold long ago) did. However, I also believe trucks could be ordered with non-standard features, colors, etc especially fleet orders. If the frame is original to the truck, my guess is it was a special order. Whatever, the right side-mount should make entering/exiting the truck easier, at least for the driver.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote