View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
Terry, NJ

Default Re: French Ford Model A Town Sedan

Michael, As an owner of a 1930 Town Sedan that needed almost all the wood replaced, I can give you some help on it. First, Most of the wood is Ash. Some is Walnut and Maple. I would not use Oak for reasons of acidity. Ash seems to be the best, if you can get it. I took an Ash tree down on my property and I have plenty.

Next, Henry Ford had been a Toolmaker and he appreciated precise measurements. In checking (With a vernier caliper) sizes of the old wood, I found it to be within .005 of nominal English sizes in inches. I found it to be astounding that wood would be this precise, especially after 83 years.

Although, I was a toolmaker, I have many wood working tools and equipment. But I found a "Bridgeport" milling machine, Or a similar machine (Lagun, Beaver etc) to be necessary for cutting some surfaces. This is especially true of some of the body wood. I could not have made the center posts with out one. Final finsh on the wood is not too important, but sizes are.

You will find that there are not many "Square" angles on the pieces. I bought a used planer to create many shapes and sizes. Also you will need a hand sander (Electrical)
to create some shapes. Watch the run of the grain on corner pieces. I used wood from where there was a branch coming off the trunk and the grain was already "going around a corner".
That should get you started.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote