View Single Post
Old 12-13-2021, 09:59 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Winter without a project?

No, not me.... I had this '46 tonner PU in deep storage in a shed down below. I got it in the 'gotta take all five jailbars' deal east of the mountains about six years ago. Good 7.50s all around....recapped michelin radials on the front, new tornels on the rear. No bed, no engine or trans, but pretty clean, with a genuine title. About seven years ago I got this other green jailbar tonner kinda rusty on the rainey West side. But... The bed was really OK somehow. About two years ago on a sunny early Fall day I married the good bed to the good cab and chassis. Then it went back in the shed. Flash forward til this Fall when I got that H six cyl running super smooth and cleaned up a nice T9 4 speed that fellow barner Art had given me. Call it magnetism or gravity, whatever, but when I get a spare moment I find myself working on a frozen window regulator or adjusting a door latch. Stuff I can do outside in a half hour window. It's getting rained on big time, but soon it will go into the work bay for bed and front clip removal, brakes and engine/trans install. Every time I need a part I find a good useable one. This will not be a perfect truck by any standards. But it will be a solid and useable truck. The red tonner PU I installed a cummins in is decked out like a heavy work truck and noisey beyond belief! With added leaf springs all around it is one rough riding SOB, but I Love it like that. This one is gonna have it's own quiet and lightweight feel. Heck, with the 100.00 lifetime vintage plates and Hagerty ins at about 100.00 year, why not get it running/driving? My intention is to get it running/driving looking like the pics, but I have two better doors, well not rusty on the bottom anyhow, but they both have lower hinge issues. They are both green. I might switch them out. I have a good enough stock seat. The interior and floors are pretty good and dash is un drilled and never even had a heater or sun visors Anyhow, this is what I've been up to this Fall. Will report as I get time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OT front quarter.jpg (148.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg OT left rear.jpg (146.5 KB, 976 views)
File Type: jpg OT interior.jpg (128.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg OT pass front.jpg (154.6 KB, 965 views)
File Type: jpg OT pass side.jpg (153.4 KB, 971 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 12-13-2021 at 10:09 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote