View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Floyd

Default Re: 32 grille teeth sea gull grey color

Being the guy that started this post, I am reporting my results since i just painted the grille bars/teeth today. The correct color of sea gull grey is not available. However Dave Rehor has stated before that the model A color french grey is close (enough?). The PPG paint guide and color chip book published some years ago for 1928 to about 1936 does have a color chip for french grey. I borrowed a copy of this paint chart from a friend. They are around, just check with your local old Ford friends. ( This chart also has a chip for Tacoma Cream for use on wheels also). The french grey chip is lighter than Rustoleum Smoke grey and darker than regular grey primer. The hooker is that this color is not just a shade of grey made from black and white. It actually has a yellow warm tint to it. Therefore I gave up and went to my local friendly Dupont auto paint dealer. We scanned it with the computer and the color is nowhere close to any color in the database. I was hoping it could be cross referenced to be close to some midern car color which could be obtained in touch up spray can form that anybody could obtain. However since that was not an option, I had him match the color to french grey and put it in a spray can. For $25 you get an exact match to french grey in a real automotive paint in a spray can (no cataylst) that will last a long time. The color is a beautiful grey, looks much better than just a cold looking grey made from black and white. So, the final recommendation I have is to look and ask around to borrow a copy of the old PPG Repaint Manual (still available from vendors for $30) and go straight down to your auto paint store and have them match the color french grey and make you a spray can. When you see the results, you will be very happy. You will also be a hero to some other local 32 guy that has just taken the 43 bars out of his shell to straighten and paint.
Just my opinion
Floyd
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote