View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
tubman

Default Re: Spark Plug Protrusion into Head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
So the non extended in ur pic looks like the end of the thread on plug is flush w ignition chamber w the entire porcelain cone & ignition mech fully above the head ignition chamber. Translation mines not long enough?
Are referring to the fourth picture in my thread? Yes, I would say that your plugs are waaaay too short. The threads in the heads may fill with carbon leading to all kinds of undefined problems and you may even strip a plug hole if you're not careful. There are some good reasons the guys that engineered those heads designed them with deeper plug holes. I will have to say that just about every used aluminum head I came across back in the day had carboned-up bottom threads. I found out what plugs to use (L series) an odd way. I had a friend whose father was a rep for International Harvester and had a complete set of catalogs from all the lines he carried, (including Champion). They had a contemporary listing for Allard (who used Ford flatheads with Edelbrock heads at the time), and they listed Champion L5's as the proper plug to use. I bought a set and they fit my Edelbrock's perfectly (after cleaning out the bottom threads).

Last edited by tubman; 11-02-2019 at 05:03 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote