View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #30
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: What is the price of a rebuilt flathead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Allow me to tell you what the stock engine will be made of
Good block
Good crank and rods (matched set)
good used .040 pistons. Measured cam bearings OK
Grind all the valves & Seats original lifters.
8BA pan & 10: flywheel
Checked original oil pump OK
t
Original stock Heads (Milled)
stock intake
Buyer must furnish carb and dis. i'll run the enginr with my stuff, but don't have any spare ones
I also have a setof 8BA water pumps, probably should be rebuilt.

I'm supervising the build, my studen is a young 73 years old, Gota teach these young ones sumpin

Ron what you list is far from what one would call a rebuild. Its more like a rattle can rebuild. I have seen similar jobs in the past the owners thinking they had a complete rebuild only to discover that was not the case. Actually have one in the shop at the moment not a rebuild but more a partial clean up and the one Im dealing with was not a very good clean up! Teaching to do it this way leaves a lot to be desired the way I see it. For most Flatheads being built today this may be the final time they will ever be rebuilt. Hopefully the rebuild will be done in a way so many enjoyable years can be had by the owner. My point is if your going to teach the young ones something {age has no bearing} teach them right . Plus i bet a proper rebuild would get much better fuel economy than a somewhat partial build.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote