View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #473
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
GB, you use a lot of varnish in your line of work. Is there a particular brand that your prefer?
I really like the old fashioned oil based marine spar varnish. I think that's because it stays quite flexible, and I really like the yellowing effect. I recently repaired a door on a beautiful plymouth woodie and it had been finished with 'Epiphanes' brand varnish, so I bought a quart. I think that may be the premier varnish for our wood wagons. As for me, I have always used McCloskeys 'Man o War' varnish. That's what our local hardware store carries. I have been trying to build a true truck woodie and not a show car, something a small shop would have built for a local business. That's why I went with the rather dull satin version of their varnish. Just less bling. As stated I have now succumbed to a bit more gloss with their semi-gloss. I always use a brush and I don't mind that the brush strokes can be seen.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote