View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 01:28 PM   #21
jeepguy1948

Default Re: Back end of a T-5

There were a few variations in the gear ratios depending on what engine it was behind (4 or 6 cylinder or Camaro etc.) You said that it is from a V6 truck so it will not have that low first gear but it will have a higher overdrive ratio. To be honest, I’m not sure that that is the best T5 for you but of course I don’t know that for certain. It is easy to determine the 1st gear ratio that is in your truck now and that would at least give you a base line, I doubt that you would want a 1st gear that is higher than what you have now. There should be a tag on the rear housing lower left bolt. You can easily find the charts online to tell you what you have. There are numbers on the case that would appear to be the same as tag numbers but don’t be fooled, they don’t. The case numbers mean nothing useful to us. The T 5 was used in many, many vehicles including Mustangs and Cameros. What makes the specific S-10 attractive is that the shifter is mounted near the middle of the transmission but every other application has the shifter at the very back of the transmission which puts the shifter under the seat on most vintage vehicles. FWIW the tail housings/shift towers can be swapped around so it is possible to use a T-5 from another application and swap on an S-10 tail housing. In addition to determining the 1st gear ratio in your truck you can figure out the T-5 ratios as well if the tag is missing. Maybe something here will help. I live in Edmonds and have been to Orcas many times. It’s a wonderful place and if you can earn a living on the island or are retired you are very fortunate indeed.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote