View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Chris in CT

Default Re: Rebuilt Engine Question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi Noah, I notice you've got 20 posts above. Did anyone welcome you to Fordbarn? If not, welcome. If you think the interior of the engine is really dirty - and perhaps gritty would be the best description - then I think you should attempt to clean it out. If it is just congealed oil, then it might be best to leave it alone and use the procedures I would suggest below.
If gritty, turn the engine on its side with the crankcase turned slightly down, and wash it out with kerosene. Do not use anything more aggressive than the kero. Use a squirt bottle or can, and don't get near any source of combustion. Collect the kerosene run-off with pans or shop towels and dispose of safely and legally.
In any case, when you have re-assembled your engine, fill it with 20 weight oil for the first few break-in runs, and use standard break-in procedures for the Model A engine.
Oh! Do not forget to put 2 quarts of oil in the crankcase, and two quarts down the distributor hole to fill the valve galley and main bearing feed tubes with oil before you attempt to start the engine. After about ten hours of the break-in procedure, drain the 20 weight and refill with 30 weight. Addendum: The first few times you start your engine, let it run at a fast idle until it gets hot (steam first beginning to appear at the radiator neck) then shut it down. When the engine can run at a fast idle without getting hot (steam appearing) then you can begin to take it on drives not faster than 35-40 mph. This will also allow you to snug down the head bolts several times after you re-install the head with that new head gasket.
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote