View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 05:35 PM   #6
Synchro909

Default Re: "butler" finish for instrument panel?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I've looked at these folks before. They seem to specialize in chrome plating, I don't know if they do nickel. Since chrome plating has been pretty well eliminated here in California, I may use these guys for my bumpers. I haven't talked to them, though. I have family in Wisconsin and may try to pay these guys a visit next time I'm visiting.

There are two nickel plating processes out there. Old-fashioned electrolytic plating is what was likely used in the Model A days. There is a newer process called "electroless nickel" that is widely used on industrial parts for corrosion resistance. I believe that the composition of the electrolytes used in the electroless process can be varied to provide a satin finish. I have a box of parts that I'm going to take to the shop and see if he can match my example of butler finish.

JayJay
Isn't chrome plating only a quick flash of chrome over nickel? If they do chrome plating, they do nickel.
I'd ask them.