View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Valve to head clearance

Keep in mind that the valves are at an angle to the deck surface - the highest part of the valve is the top-most part of it (toward the intake). I would clay this area with the .412 cam that Pete ground you - then you'll know.

In my opinion, the correct way to achieve additional valve clearance is not with a typical fly-cutter - running the cut parallel to the head surface (takes too much of a cut in areas that don't need it). The cut should be at an angle to match the valve - which is different side to side.

I tend to figure out the clearance at the top of the valve and use a high-speed porting grinder by hand to achieve the clearance . . . or use a CNC milling machine to do it. I keep the valve pocket at an angle - to match the valve.

Many of the early head designs accounted for the valve angle (like earlier Edelbrocks - which even had a right/left side head). If you're running a blower, you might need more combustion chamber volume anyway (depending on the static CR you're shooting for), so the above might not be as much of an issues (angle cutting the valve pocket).

Make sure you achieve a .040 squish area above the piston, then figure out how big your chambers need to be to clear the valves and to achieve the final static CR you're shooting for.

Best of luck!
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote