View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: Model A dies with throttle open

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavArian View Post
I have exactly the same problem as trevorsworth, except that it's continous on my car.
The engine idles nicely after warming up (choke off and GAV completely closed), but as soon as I push the accelerator, the revs drop and you can hear it sucking in air without igniting the mixture. The engine has almost no power, while it ran just fine two years ago. (when it was last driven)

If I slowly increase the gas through the hand lever, I can get the revs up, but only to about 1.5 - 2k rpm (estimated), after that the same as above happens.
Now, if I clog up 1/2 to 3/4 of the air intake of the carb with my hand, the revs climb fast and the motor seems to have more power.
Am I right in assuming that it's running WAY too lean and I either have

a) dirt / gummed up fuel in my carb

or

b) a partially clogged up jet ?

Can the float cause problems like that too?

EDIT: I forgot, there is a steady fuel stream through the gas line and I had the fuel cap removed for testing, so it's not most likely not a problem with not getting enough fuel to the carb.
An A carb shouldn’t be run with the GAV closed. An average is about a quarter turn open. Every cars different. You’re right, you’re running lean. If that doesn’t fix it, look for vacuum leaks.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote