View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 05:25 AM   #76
jrvariel48

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Since the temp went to 180 just sitting in the driveway with the outside temp at 86 that's not good. The temp difference you discovered from top to bottom using the heat gun is showing there's an issue with the radiator design. The air flow across the tubes/fins on the highway should be dropping the temp more than what your seeing. I would expect a reading of 180 on the highway however since its already at that point just idling in the driveway there's no way what your working with is going to get better.

Understanding how the flathead exhaust ports are super heating the water in the block a difference of only 15 degrees is not good.

What I would do if you haven't already is set the initial ignition timing at 12 degrees with a total all in of no more than 25 degrees. Personally I have never used a boost retard I see no reason for it unless the boost your getting is going above 10. If you do not see any reduction in the driveway temp after doing this in my opinion there's not much your going to do with the radiator you have.
Ronnieroadster
I agree Ronnie. I'm hoping that Lee from Brassworks is following this post and offers some technical comments, advice and solutions.

My initial timing is at 7*. I'll bump it up to 12* and see what happens. I'm still wonder about the shroud causing a problem at hiway speeds. As you said, if it's 180* sitting in the driveway, it sounds like a radiator problem
Thank you Joe
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote