View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Help with radiator cap spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Put on a stock cap & see what happens. "Some" radiator gimmicks are more trouble than they're worth!!!---Why risk ruining an engine, just for LOOKS???
Bill W.
I agree with Bill !!! I found an original cap for my roadster . I think that the original style caps look better . In my opinion the only thing that the locking caps are good for is to ruin the radiator neck and to leak . I had l;ots of problems with the thermo quail that I used on the coupe , my daughter liked it so I finally gave it to her . On the other hand if the radiator neck is damaged you may still have leaks . Even an original cap needs a good tight seal .

Every model A that I've ever owned would spray water out around the cap on a hard uphill pull under full throttle, Its a common trait of the model A . It can even happen on level ground under hard accelleration . Cutting down the impeller and getting a good seal at the radiator cap always solved the problem for me . An old partially plugged radiator or a new radiator with smaller or less tubes just can't handle the pressure that the water pump puts out . I guess that a cut down impeller could be called a band aid but if it solves the problem , so be it !!! If it wasn't common why would Snyders offer a cut down impeller . If the radiator can't handle the flow , the water has got to go somewhere . I can understand how a person would be reluctant to modify an expensive new leak proof pump . I'm not trying to tell anybody what they have to do . This has just been my experience .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)