View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #35
56markII

Default Re: Lincoln ECU Alternate Transmission Options

I have one of those Borg Warner/Ford transmissions with the finned torque converter. My only beef with that transmission is that stupid start out in 2nd unless you floor the gas or manually shift! Doesn't cut it for a 5400 pound car needing very high octane fuel. The newer "Cruisomatic" with the D1 D2 L on the prindle will fit on the bell housing but won't work with my PRNDL indicator grrrrrr! From what I read the only difference was an addition of an additional sprag clutch and an updated valve body. I would like this as a full time 3 speed as this car cries out for a 4 speed Hydromatic that the earlier versions had. Hmmmm I just answered your question by accident lmao! 1954 Lincoln and older used the earlier version of the 368 which were 345, and 317.5 and they used a 4 speed Hydramatic on them. Look in this direction and perhaps a Cadillac Hydra could be used or parts of it. 54 I do believe was the last year Ford used the Hydra. The mention of FE vs the 368, well that 368 was certainly NO slouch! The 56 Mark was rated at 285HP with 405 foot pounds of torque and the 57 was 300@408 and it makes my Mark move very well!
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote