View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 AM   #30
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Lincoln ECU Alternate Transmission Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrcrV-8 View Post
IF I do change to an AOD, I was planning to go with a Ford(Lincoln) 9" with somewhere between 3.7 & 3.89 ratio gears(maybe 4.11?) to not lug the engine. With a stock cam they like to cruise somewhere near 2100 to 2300, which is well into their torque curve. I have to ask how well those RPM numbers "fit" with any of the Transmission options you've suggested? I'm not looking for speed/power, as roughly 300HP is plenty for a "driver", but am trying to get more than 16mpg! Instead of an AOD transmission, should I remove that enfamous "Teapot Holley", & hide a modern EFI under the huge air cleaner? A lot easier(& way cheaper) than the transmission changes!

A "modern EFI" is not a 'magic bullet". I'd expect only a minimal increase in fuel mileage (assuming your carb and ignition are currently working as designed). Maybe 2 MPG? You would still have an inefficient transmission (no lock-up torque converter nor overdrive), a heavy, non-aerodynamic car, and an old school engine design (combustion chamber and port shape plus camshaft).
A good aftermarket EFI kit is around $2500, plus you will need an in-tank electric fuel pump, tank modifications, and new fuel lines.
Then there's labor costs. How much can you do yourself?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote