View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Post Re: best way to get heads off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post

So, since this engine has been opened-at least on the top end so far-it has become a Frankenstein motor. Not that that is bad, but just not what I was hoping for. I checked the numbers on the block, heads, exh and intake manifolds and I get different years. This is what I got:

Block= ECZ 6015C=292/312
Exhaust manifolds R=B9AE, L=EDB (58-59 292 manifolds)
Water outlet=ECE-8/3
Intake=ECZ-9425-B

So my guess is this, the engine is a genuine low mileage 312 (well at least at this point in time) that went to the fairlane I got it out of. But at some point the heads and manifolds got replaced along with the valley pan. The only reason I say this about the pan is that it was designed with a PCV valve in it from the factory. It has a stamped indentation where the valve sits so I don't think it is a later mod.

Mike
This engine was pulled from a 57 FORD sitting in a salvage yard?

My thoughts ( ) is that somewhere in the engines service history, the heads were replaced as possibly the assembly heads needed servicing, and the later heads were probably cheaper from a salvage yard than having the originals machined. And they lowered CR enabling using regular gasoline.

The right EXH MAN goes with the later heads (DATE CODES are necessary to nail down what is correct and what is not).

As for the valley pan, most likely a PCV upgrade from a later engine to rid the road draft system.

The intake is correct for 1957. Is there any ID on the carb?

The engine was upgraded through its service history as FYB TECH progressed.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote