View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 07:40 AM   #24
Jeff Norwell

Default Re: Second times a Charm.

Oh yes.... That Brent L fella is a sharp guy!
I followed his 352 Buildup for a while now.I found the 352 from a local guy who bought a 1960 T-Bird from a man that had passed away... It was a running 300hp 352 T-Bird engine..... I bought it and the cruise-o-matic and sold the Trans(not a automatic guy)
Since the FE is a direct bolt in,. it was a no brainer.
I have always been intrigued with the 352.. but many Ford guys overlook or even have a distain for them.
But when I read the 1960 Motor Trend issue and how the 60 Starliner was featured with the HiPo 352 and it discussed the internals.... there was magic there.That car on Ford's Test track ran over 150 mph in end testing!!!
Can you imagine running at that speed on Bias, drums ,no belts and a T-shirt?!?!
Now the HiPo 1960 version is a much different animal than a mom and pop 4 door factory sedan.... But Ford was a company that wanted no part of racing....... well..kinda.

Today.. trying to find the unicorn 427 or 406 is mighty expensive and really not worth the cost.... to the average garage guy.428's now are starting to cost a fortune for a core... 390's are going the same way.... I used to be able to buy a core 390 for a $100.... not any more.
but the 352 and 360 are still plentiful and cheap.
That's why I follow and listen to a guy like Brent or the great Karol Miller.

Anyhow.I just realized the potential in these shorter stroke engines and always wanted one.
Mini BB's.

So... I planted this engine in the 57 and it ran just fine.... but As I mentioned.... I had a clutch trans issue.. and I had to pull it to repair.....
So this FE now in the car was a project from a discarded project that went away... I grabbed it and it has sat in the corner for a few years....
It runs like a bear.
All I will say is the cubic displacement is between 352-445.... hahaha.Sleepers keep there secrets.

My Custom 300 is and always be a rolling test Laboratory .... despite the appearance. all the underpinnings have been gone through and replaced, revamped and new... I have tried to use Ford parts all the way on this project... and have had a 90-95% success rate...
And Kultulz.... Thanks for the kind words.... I guess its the artist in me to keep the canvas clean... I have "tried" to keep a very clean Ford Factory look and feel.
Compared to my black 57 custom.... I just don't want to go through the cost and time of a full body and paint job .

Anyhow.I gabbed long enough..I am trying to get the exhaust done today.

Yes... Brent Lykin is a Genius..(and many others!)

Last edited by Jeff Norwell; 04-14-2024 at 07:49 AM.
Jeff Norwell is offline   Reply With Quote