View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #14
Synchro909

Default Re: Overheating cured by adding thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
This subject has been discussed many times. The takeaway is, a marginal cooling system can benefit from the restriction of the thermostat or cutting down impeller blades. However, the benefit is seen in reduced negative pressure in the engine block, making steam flashover less likely. The reduced flow though does create less turbulance, and turbulance is good for heat transfer. Much better solution is to get the cooling system up to snuff. Clean block and clean or replace radiator.
As you say, any improvement by reducing the vanes on the impellor is counter intuitive. I understand how reduced pressure inthe block will hasten boiling but has anybody measured the pressure inthe block? I think the Model A water pump would best be described as high volume, low pressure which would mean that the reduction of pressure in the block is minimal.
Also agree that reducing the vanes is a stop gap for a system that needs attention.
Radiators vary enormously in efficiency. I have a friend who had his radiator recored with a modern core (and therefor working at 100% efficiency). While we travelled together, both towing camper trailers in temps in the mid 30s (mid 90s F), my car was on the edge of boiling constantly. He had a piece of cardboard covering the lower 1/2 of his. Prior to this, he had overheating problems where ever he went even without the trailer. Sometimes ya just gotta bight the bullet.