View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: 28 model A VIN location

Texas used to be pretty lax on checking the VIN numbers. After 1985 or so, they started requiring a VIN check on any vehicles coming into the state from other states. If the VIN is not on the engine, they require a pencil rubbing of the number from the frame.

I purchased a 1929 Sport Coupe here in Texas back in 1990 that had originally come from Tennesee back in the late 1970s. Since the car was already titled in Texas, it wasn't required to check the VIN so I had no problems transfering the title. After I got to looking at it while performing some minor repairs to the engine, I found that the number on the engine was completely missing. I don't know if it was a replacement engine or not but the number pad on the left side above the water inlet was rusty and blank. It always made me wonder how the guy I purchased it from got it registered in Texas after coming from Tennesse. I could tell he never took the body off the frame. He either had a pencil rubbing that I don't know about or they just plain didn't check it when he transfered the title back in the 70s.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote