View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: I want to know about the wire-on binding

So binding comes in a different styles. The 2 we are most familiar with, sort of, are the normal stuff you can buy today and Locktite.

The difference is in how they cover the area. The purpose of the binding is to cover the fasteners used to hold a top down.

The stuff you can buy today is bound in the middle. So you get equal coverage on either side.

On the Cabriolet and other cars you want to bias the coverage towards the body to hide the lines.

The locktite binding does that.

No, no one makes the locktite binding. I spoke to one person who does upholstery who had made a bunch of it by hand. I just missed out buying what was left over from an cabriolet project he did. He was very clear he never wants to make it again. Another person I talked to basically said the same thing.

Locktite binding is also not the best. It tends to flip up and the people say they use silicon to hold it down.

Also the tips that are for the locktite binding have a special shape. A person used to make accurate reproductions, but he stopped making them.

Most of the above information is based on my experiences from 5 or more years ago so things may have changed.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote